Corporate Association
About Dungarpur
Dungarpur is one of the important city of the Vagad region in Rajasthan. Dungarpur is built around the immense Gaibsagar Lake and surrounded by lolling hills on three sides. The word Dungar means hills in the common language and hence the Dungarpur means the city of hills. It has an interesting topography, ranging from the wild and rugged terrain in the north east to the fertile plains of the alluvial soil in the south west. This region was also the stronghold of the Bhils.
Dungarpur was founded in the early 13th century when Rawal Veer Singh constructed temples in the memory of Dungaria’s widows.
Dungarpur became famous under the Guhilot Ahara Suryavanshi Rajputs, who trace their ancestry from the elder branches of the main lineage at Chittorgarh. The cousins came together to fight the historic battle against the invaders. Towards the end of the 12th century, Samant Singh, the eldest son of the ruler of Mewar, had to leave Mewar in favour of his younger brother Kumar Singh. Samant Singh drifted into the hilly area of Bagar and, within the next century, Samant Singh successors controlled the whole province of Bagar. Rawal Udai Singh of Bagar was killed at the battle of Khanua in 1527, fighting for Mewar against Mughal Emperor Babur. His territory was thereafter divided between his two sons, forming two separate states. Prithivi Raj remained in Dungarpur while his brother Jagmal Singh became independent ruler of Banswara. Dungarpur was added as a district in India on April 7, 1949.